Annual Convention of the Diocese of Olympia
Annual Convention of the Diocese of Olympia
The annual convention of the Diocese of Olympia was held at the Lynnwood Convention Center in mid-November. Our diocesan campus ministry members did a fabulous job of hosting the convention and leading the discussion on the theme, The Jesus Movement. Wrap up information is below. Take a look at our video Convention Recap to get the flavor of and peek into activities at this year's convention. And for a lighter take: Episcopal Fever. Convention photos are posted on the diocesan Facebook Page.
Resolutions & other actions
- Resolution #1 (adopted) sets the 2017 diocesan assessment rate at 15% of Net Disposable Income (NDI).
- Resolution #2 (adopted) sets the cost of living adjustment for 2016 parochial clergy salary scale at 1.6%.
- Resolution #3 (adopted) continues support over the next triennium at 0.7% of unrestricted revenue, for global mission to the poor as defined by the Sustainable Development Goals, in support of congregation-based and supported partnerships in the developing world.
- Resolution #4 (adopted) calls for a response to Central American Refugees, with specific actions requested of the bishop, and encouragement for action by individuals and congregations.
- Resolution #5 (adopted) calls for respect for human dignity during campaign seasons; particularly the run-up to the 2016 U.S. presidential election.
- Courtesy Resolutions (adopted).
- Six-Hour Resolutions: The convention declined to consider two six-hour resolutions.
Resolutions with Actions
- St. Mark's Cathedral Constitution proposed revisions were adopted as presented.
- 2016 diocesan operating budget was ratified as presented.
- Proposed revisions to the Constitution and Canons were adopted as presented.
Awards, recognitions and addresses
New Mission: St. Germain, Hoodsport
New Mission Station: Our Lady of Guadalupe, Seattle
Bishop's Cross Awards:
- The Rt. Rev. Sandy and Mari Hampton
- Kendra Field & Dee Bennett, Grace Church, Bainbridge Island
- Rick Chapman, St. Stephen, Oak Harbor
- Ms. Charlotte Brown, St. Joseph-St. John, Lakewood
- Ms. Gwynne Taylor, St. Elizabeth, Burien
Ky Chen Employee Excellence "No Problem" Awards:
- Mr. Manuel Acevado, St. Stephen, Seattle
- Ms. Jennifer McDaniel, St. Anne, Washougal
- Mr. Armando Cortez, Church of the Ascension, Seattle
- Mr. German Vergara, St. Luke, Renton
Bishop's Preaching Award: the Rev. Eric Mason
Church Website Award: Church of the Redeemer, Kenmore
Bishop's Address: The Rt. Rev. Greg Rickel
Why "The Jesus Movement"?
Throughout the convention worship leaders from the campus ministries, the bishop and others shared their answer to this question - in 140 characters and/or less than one minute. On Saturday afternoon a table conversation gave convention members the opportunity to write their own 140 character tweet in answer to this question. Thanks to Aidan Walker and Michael McAdams for transcribing the over 300 responses.
Why "The Jesus Movement" Tweets
Elections & appointments
- Secretary of Convention: Ms. Karen Gusse
- Archivist and Records Manager: Ms. Diane Wells
- Treasurer: Ms. Barbara Fox, St. John, Kirkland
- Historiographer: Br. Carle Griffin
- The Rev. Alfredo Feregrino, St. Paul & Our Lady of Guadalupe, Seattle
- Ms. Deede Woods, Church of Our Saviour, Monroe (three-year unexpired term)
- Ms. Karen McCarthy Casey, Grace Church, Bainbridge Island
- The Rev. Danae Ashley, St. Stephen, Seattle Be Attitudes Regional Ministry
- The Rev. Michael A Wright, St. Stephen, Longview Columbia Regional Ministry
- Ms. Sally Farrell, Good Samaritan, Sammamish Eastside Regional Ministry
- The Rev. Michael Carroccino, St. John the Baptist, Seattle Holy C Regional Ministry
- Ms. Denice Patrick, St. Hilda-St. Patrick, Edmonds Sno Isle Regional Ministry
- Ms. Susan Rolfe, St. Mark, Montesano Willapa Regional Ministry
- The Rev. Rilla Barrett, St. Stephen, Oak Harbor Mount Baker Regional Ministry
- Chancellor: the Hon. Judy Andrews, Esq.
- Vice Chancellor: the Hon. Mike Reynvann, Esq.
- Board of Directors: Mr. George Garcia, St. Joseph-St. John, Lakewood; (reappointed Ms. Pat McGuire, St. Bede, Port Orchard (reappointed); the Rev. Chris Jillard, St. Margaret, Bellevue; the Rev. Jonathan Weldon, St. Paul, Bellingham (one-year unexpired term).
- Commission on Ministry: Ms. Mary Lyons, St. Stephen, Longview; the Rev. Canon Dr. Nancee Martin, St. Mark's Cathedral; the Rev. Karen Haig, St. Thomas, Medina; the Rev. Bonnie Campbell, St. Mark, Montesano (reappointed, chair); Canon Mary Coon, St. Mark's Cathedral.
- Personnel Commission: Mr. Kelly DiCicco, Trinity Church, Everett; Mr. John Sutherland, St. Paul, Seattle (reappointed, chair).
- Disciplinary Board: Mr. Mac Brown, St. Mark's Cathedral; the Rev. Dr. Tom Warne, Church of the Good Shepherd, Vancouver.
- Church Attorney: Mr. Marvin L. Gray, Jr.